Monday, August 8, 2011

The Big One





The trip was a bit of a last minute thing. Randy had called and said his buddies were going to do a hike in trip. With the restaurant and all it was a bit up in the air as to weather or not i was going to make it. At the last minute my sister Shari offered to work so that i could go fishing. I had stayed up late the few night before the trip tying up some buggers i new the fish would love. I had called Paul at William Joseph and ordered a 4500 badlands pack to use on the trip. It arrived 45 min before i was to depart to meet the guys. On the way my bronco broke down so my sister had to rescue me again and get me to Green River to rendezvous with the rest of the group. Yep, i will give you that, we were in Wyoming. After all the turmoil i was on my way. The hike in was brutal with the 50 extra pounds in the pack. But what a comfy pack it was. If you need one look no further than the 4500 from badlands. Got up the next morning and hit a lake to catch brookies for lunch. After lunch the decision was made to follow a river that connected to 4 different lakes. It rained on use for a while, but as the sun broke we where all having a great time catching 8-12 inch brookies and cutts as we worked our way from lake to lake. Most were fishing dries but i stuck to my buggers. I was out ahead and approaching a lake. there was a transition area with a nice set of cliffs that looked very fishy. I worked along the wall and then with a bounce off the rock and a quick tug, all my fishing dreams were about to come true. The water erupted. I really thought that i had hit a beaver in the head. A fish cant move that much water. Then my line went tight and up the river comes the biggest fish Ive ever seen in a wild setting. It was half out of the water as i screamed for my friends for help.. There was no way to land this by myself. Was it the refraction in the water or was this fish that big. it was that big. Shane got to me first. I played it gently not to get the fish to wound up. A after a few minutes and a few runs Shane was able to basically tackle the fish.. Before i even got a good look i ran to get my brother. I was screaming that i had caught a 28 inch cutt which i thought was a bit of a stretch. we later taped it at exactly 28 inches. The fish of a lifetime. Thanks to Randy, Shane, Scott, Brent, Jerom, Andrew. Without them its just another fish story, Thanks guys. Enjoy the pics. Ps The fish was proudly released to enjoy another day..










45 comments:

  1. So ridiculous....ha! Well done sir...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's huge! Has your heart rate came down yet? because I would dropping bricks in my shorts if I landed that beast! Thanks for sharing.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work boss! A fish of a lifetime for sure. Well deserved also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's pig stickin! Great fish. Wow.

    You owe your sister lunch! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. are you sure YOU caught that???????j/k a most awesome fish indeed ken. congrats.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. !!! .... speechless. Congrats, what. a. fish.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude! So stoked for ya! That is a sweeeeet feeeeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea Boyie! Way to sticky a piggie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fish of a lifetime !! Glad you were able to make the trip. The torturous hike, Ken's Lake and that fish will be a story we'll tell our grandchildren about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a toad! One you will remember for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello.I visite your weblog.It was fantastic.This is my website www.freetop1000.com Be glad to know your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yea buddy! thats worth the walk..

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adventure - and your buddies there to share - it doesn't get any better, does it?

    Nice Fish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read your blog Its excellent,a beautiful resort for fishing which provides unlimited fun in low budget with Comfortable Accommodation for all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is an extremely well written article.I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful information

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found some interesting things and I will apply to the development of my blog. Very informative and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice catch! you have great shots and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a good catch. I wonder how it feels catching that big fish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you were able to make the trip!, this is so exciting i need to try this one too.

    Black Cloud Diesel Clutches Dodge

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice catch! i'd love to try this one too, thanks for sharing this and please keep on posting more!:)

    The Best Ever Pasadena VoIP Services

    ReplyDelete
  22. awesome!, my son told me that we should try that one too, thanks for sharing your blog:)

    LinkHelpers

    ReplyDelete